Human occupation of Grosse Île began many years before the quarantine station was opened in 1832. The first written traces of the occupation of the island date to the 17th century: on September 4, 1662, Governor Pierre du Bois d'Avaugour granted Noël Jérémie de la Montagne land on the island for farming purposes.
Subsequently, the island changed owners several times. On July 30, 1831, it was leased a final time to Pierre Duplain by Louis Bernier. At that time, a house and large shed, a stable and various outbuildings occupied the eastern sector. Both the owner and tenant were expropriated the following year so as to make room for the quarantine station.
800, autoroute Jean-Lesage
Lévis (Québec) G7A 1E3
Phone : 418 831-4411
Fax : 418 831-8442
Toll free : 1 888 831-4411
Printed on : September 30, 2016